Friday, April 25, 2008

Affirmation


What we say and think affects how we feel. If we change what we say and think, we will change the way we feel.


When people used to ask me how I was (which, since I am mostly on the phone all day with different people, is sometimes dozens of times a day), I would always answer "I can't complain," signifying that, although I am not too well, there are a lot of people worse than I. Although I usually felt OK, I was often frustrated and angry.


One day I realized the connection between what I said and my state of mind. Now when people ask me how I am, I only answer one of two ways: "fantastic" or "great." I noticed that occasionally this response lifts the spirits of the person I am speaking with. I also noticed that I began feeling less angry and frustrated when little things went wrong.


I had a cold this week, yet when people asked how I was, I answered "fantastic." When I realized I sounded sick, I would sometimes follow it up with "I have a cold, but otherwise feel fantastic." I also realized that I felt great despite being sick. Even though I had the symptoms of a cold, they did not affect my state of being. I did not feel sorry for myself, did not expect sympathy from others or wish that I was not sick. I also did not identify with being a sick person.


Let's bring awareness to our words and thoughts and, if they are not reflecting who we want to be, let's release them. Our words and thoughts should reinforce what we truly are: love, peace and joy.

(I feel better now, thanks.)

No comments: